The City of Hopkins requires an annual license for all premises rented in whole or in part as a dwelling unit (City Code Section 407 (PDF)). This includes:
- All apartment complexes
- Single family homes
- Double bungalows
- Rooming units
- Owner occupied double bungalows
Short Term Rentals
Short Term Rental units are dwelling units offered to transient guests for a period of less than thirty (30) days (Airbnb, VRBO or the like). Such units are allowed in any R-1 zoning district subject to the issuance of a conditional use permit for a Bed and Breakfast under Section 530.09.u. Short Term Rental Units may also be subject to a Lodging License from Hennepin County.
License Fee (Effective May 23, 2017)
Buildings With 3 or More Units and Duplexes
- $75 per building + $10 per unit
Single Family Units (Including Individually Owned Condos or Townhouses)
- $75 per unit
Rental licenses must be renewed every year before October 31. Rental license renewal fees double when they are 30 days or more past due. Beginning November 30, all rental license fees will double unless they are a new rental license application. The fine for renting without a license is $500 and it’s a violation of City Code 407.
Applying for / Renewing a Rental License
Use this form to Apply for a New Rental License. You must be logged-in to your account before completing this form.
Use this form to Renew a Rental License. You must be logged-in to your account before completing this form.
You can also print and return your completed rental license application (PDF) with the appropriate fee to the City of Hopkins.
If you meet the following requirements, the City will grant your license and issue you a license receipt, which should be kept for your records.
1. Pre-Rental Inspection
An inspection is required in order to obtain a new rental license. Once you’ve applied and paid for the rental license, contact Susan Zasada, Housing Inspector, at 952-548-6328 to schedule an inspection. The Inspection fee schedule and rating system is the same as that of the routine rental inspection.
2. Criminal Background Check
Any rental licensee in the City of Hopkins must conduct criminal background checks on all prospective tenants. The criminal background check must include the following:
- A statewide (Minnesota) criminal history check of all prospective tenants covering at least three years. The check must be done utilizing the most recent update of the state criminal history files.
- A statewide criminal history check from the prospective tenant’s previous state of residence, if available, if the tenant is moving directly from the previous state.
- A criminal history check of any prospective tenant in their previous states of residence, if available, covering the last three years if they have not resided in Minnesota for three years or longer.
- A criminal history check of any prospective tenant must be conducted in all seven counties in the metro Twin Cities area (Hennepin, Ramsey, Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Scott and Washington) covering at least the last three years including all misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor, and felony convictions.
3. Disorderly Behavior Lease Provisions
All tenant leases must contain crime-free drug-free provisions (view example of a Crime-Free Drug-Free Housing Lease Addendum (PDF)) or equivalent that prohibits the disorderly behavior identified in City Code Section 407.13 (PDF).