Sale of Fireworks License
Selling fireworks in Hopkins requires an annual license (City Code Section 1150 (PDF)).
To apply for a license, return your completed Sale of Fireworks License Application (PDF) along with:
- A list documenting the name, weight and quantity of the fireworks within the building
- Material safety data sheets
- Appropriate fee
- $100 when sold in an established business with other merchandise
- $350 when only fireworks will be sold
There will be a inspection done to be sure the premises meets the following requirements:
- The licensed premises must be a permanent building, located in an area that is zoned as a business district which contains no residential units. No exterior storage, display, sales or transient sales of fireworks are permitted.
- The license must be publicly displayed on the premises.
- The premises are subject to inspection by City employees including police officers during normal business hours.
- The premises must be in compliance with the State Building and Fire Codes.
- In buildings without an approved automatic sprinkler system, retail consumer fireworks sales displays shall be limited to 50 pounds. net pyrotechnic composition or 200 pounds. gross weight, if the pyrotechnic composition weight is not known. The total quantity of consumer fireworks stored on the property shall not exceed 500 pounds.
- Buildings protected throughout by an approved automatic sprinkler system retail consumer fireworks sales displays shall be limited to one 100 pounds net or 400 pounds. gross weight if the pyrotechnic composition weight is not known. The total quantity of consumer fireworks stored on the property shall not exceed 1,000 pounds.
- Consumer fireworks shall not be sold to persons under the age of 18.
- Smoking shall not be permitted in any building or tenant space where fireworks are stored or sold. Signs shall be displayed stating "no smoking" in red letters not less than two inches in height on white background. All signs shall be maintained in legible condition. Alternative signs are available from the Fire Marshal at no charge.
- Each permit holder shall have at least two fire extinguishers of not less than a 2a, 10b, c rating permanently mounted in approved locations.
- There shall be at least two code compliant exits from all buildings from which fireworks are stored or sold. An approved exit cannot go through a storeroom and has to be openable from the inside without a key or special knowledge
- A list of all consumer fireworks displayed and stored on the property shall be available at all times. The list shall document the name, weight, and quantity of the fireworks and be accompanied by the material safety data sheets.