Short Term Rentals
Short Term Rental units are dwelling units located in an R-1 zoning district that are offered to transient guests for a period of less than 30 days. Hopkins allows such units in R-1 zoning districts, subject to the standards for Bed and Breakfast listed in Section 530.09.u.
Bed and Breakfast standards – Section 530.09.u
- The bed and breakfast shall be the principal residence of the bed and breakfast property owner.
- Off-street parking at a ratio of one space per guestroom plus two spaces for the residence.
- No parking in the front yard setback.
- Bed and breakfasts must be located 600 feet apart.
- Only breakfast shall be served, and service shall be restricted to guests only, not the general public. No separate food preparation facilities are allowed.
- A bed and breakfast establishment may host one special event each month for not more than 25 non-registered guests with the following requirements:
- At least two weeks prior to an event the bed and breakfast towner must notify the City Planner in writing of the event. This will include the hours of the event and information on how the property’s exterior areas will be used during the event music, temporary structures, etc.).
- The applicant must notify the City of the hours of the event and whether music will be played.
- Food may be furnished by and to special event guests provided all necessary local, state, and/or federal permits, licenses or authorizations have been obtained.
- Alcoholic beverages maybe served to special event guests only by a caterer, provided the caterer has all required local, state and federal permits licenses or authorization for service of alcoholic beverages.
- The bed and breakfast owner must be present during special events and shall provide adequate supervision of the event.
- The hours of the event shall be between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m.
- Bed and Breakfasts are allowed signage but limited to four square feet.
- All exterior lighting to be concealed or screened. (Added Ord. 08-1000)