Take steps to protect your family from these silent and dangerous home invaders.
Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning, more than 15,000 visit the emergency room and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to CO poisoning. Fatality is highest among Americans 65 and older. Learn about this odorless, colorless gas and how to identify warning signs.
A carbon monoxide detector is required by MN State Statue 299 F.50 for all single-family homes and multi-family dwellings in Minnesota.
Mold can be a problem inside your home. The Environmental Protection Agency offers information to homeowners and renters about preventing mold and cleaning it up safely.
Radon is a cancer-causing, radioactive gas that causes many thousand deaths a year. You can't see, smell, or taste radon. Find out how to test your home for this gas and learn more about its consequences from the EPA.
National Lead Information Center: 1-800-424-LEAD
Lead exposure can have harmful side effects on anyone, especially children. Lead can be absorbed by breathing or swallowing lead dust, or by eating soil or paint chips containing lead.
Asbestos fibers may be released into the air by the disturbance of asbestos-containing material during product use, demolition work, building or home maintenance, repair, and remodeling. In general, exposure may occur only when the asbestos-containing material is disturbed or damaged in some way to release particles and fibers into the air. Exposure to asbestos increases your risk of developing lung disease. That risk is made worse by smoking. In general, the greater the exposure to asbestos, the greater the chance of developing harmful health effects.