Bulk Item Disposal
For residential refuse customers
Bulk item pickup
The City of Hopkins offers its residential refuse customers a bulk item pickup service on Thursdays. Bulk items include furniture, sofas, stuffed chairs, mattresses, box springs, carpet rolls (3 ft long; 1 ft diameter), and appliances.
To schedule a bulk item pickup, call Public Works at 952-939-1382 before 2 pm on Wednesday.
Bulk item pickup charges:
- $25 plus State and County Solid Waste management fees for each item collected
- $25 plus State and County Solid Waste management fees for each ¾ cubic yard of loose volume material
State Solid Waste management fee is 9% of total charge(s).
County Solid Waste management fee is 9.75% of total charge(s).
- Place all items at your regular refuse collection location and keep all items at least 4 ft away from the refuse container
- Materials must fit into a rear load refuse truck or on a one-ton truck and must be transportable by two people.
- Bagged or boxed items must weigh 35 lbs or less and fit in the bag or box.
- The maximum item size accepted is 4 ft x 6 ft.
Items Not Accepted
Please refer to Hennepin County's How-to-Get-Rid-of-It Guide for options on how to dispose of and recycle these items.
- Major construction demolition materials are not accepted unless materials are within the 3 cubic yard maximum guideline
- Concrete weighing over 35 lbs
- Car batteries
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Metal barrels or drums
- Car parts
- Gas refrigerators
- Hazardous waste
- Paint products
- Waste oil
- Junk cars
- Railroad ties
- Computers and accessories
- Food Waste
Bulk Item Drop-Off
Twice a year, the City offers a refuse bulk item drop off service for Hopkins refuse customers. The 2015 fall bulk drop-off event for Hopkins residential refuse customers was held on September 25 & 26. Watch the website for spring 2016 dates.